She looked over his shoulder
For vines and olive trees,
Marble well-governed cities
And ships upon untamed seas,
But there on the shining metal
His hands had put instead
An artificial wilderness
And a sky like lead.

A plain without a feature, bare and brown,
No blade of grass, no sign of neighborhood,
Nothing to eat and nowhere to sit down,
Yet, congregated on its blankness, stood
An unintelligible multitude,
A million eyes, a million boots in line,
Without expression, waiting for a sign.

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Without further ado

One of the most important lessons we men learn is that women like to share. A lot. An important day In a man's life is when he learns to ask, when his lady friend starts in on something dramatic, "Honey, are you looking for my input here or do you just want me to listen?" (If you haven't learned little trick yet, you're welcome. Solid gold). What is true in the home holds true on the internets as well. Blogging, I have observed, is a world dominated by women. The gods of the blogosphere seem to enforce some egalitarianism at the top. For a while Salon.com had a nice, round, always gender-balanced table on their front page. But get lower, and the men fall away. I personally know at least three women with blogs, while the one guy I know with a blog writes about…wait for it…sports. A bit more scientifically, I looked at the first twenty blogs that came up (randomly, I think) on blogspot. Fourteen were clearly written by women, two were hard to tell but about domestic subjects (which, being women's work, is probably by a women, right?), and four by men. But here's the thing, two of these were by gay men and the other two were about architecture and, again, sports. So like I said, women are apparently the ones who fell inclined to share on the internet as well as in the real world.


It turns out that men, when they write, are very focused. I suspect that this is a machismo thing. Purpose = manly. One inevitably suspects that male diarists and memoirists (aside from the already-famous sort) swing from both sides of the plate, if not solely the other side, regardless of any actual evidence for or against. The theory seems to be that one ought not care about the feelings and sharing of others. Consequently, you shouldn't share your own either (presumably because your friends won't give a shit, and will think you odd for thinking they would). You'll notice that this also plays out in men's friendships themselves. 90% of male interaction (outside of work and family) is activity-based. When girls hang out, they just hang out. When guys hang out, they watch sports, play video games, shoot guns, or as a last resort, get drunk.


So anyway, when we men write, it tends to follow the same pattern. I've even seen this in myself. I've had this notion for quite some time that I wanted to have a blog, but always I held back. Why? Because I couldn't think of what to write about! I guess this misses the point. I noticed this, and being contrary by nature, decided I'd write without a purpose. Or anyway, the sole purpose being the sharing of my eminently authoritative and interesting opinions.


Keep an eye on the visit counter. I have a bonus clause in my contract that kicks in when the count hits twelve.

No comments: